Monday, January 21, 2019

Monogram First Lunar Landing 1/48

Since I was so far behind on this project, I decided I needed to revise the scope of the project.  Originally, I had intended to do quite a bit of detailing to each kit (after the Man in Space set) as some exercise to get to the really big detail kits, the Saturn V 1:96 and the Mercury capsule 1:12.  The Saturn V kit had the New Ware detail set to help out with this, but I intended to scratch build a lot of the detailing for the Mercury capsule.  As life intervened and procrastination took its toll, it became obvious that I was not going to be able to complete the project as envisioned.

First Lunar Landing
I decided to take two steps to salvage something of the original goal of completing the kits by the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing.  First, I needed to reduce the number of kits in the project, so I have removed the Mercury capsule from the schedule.  There is too much detail that I want to do on that kit, and I will not be able to give it the necessary attention before the anniversary.  Also, I will not be building the 1/32 Apollo CSM.  Just not enough time to get it all done. Secondly, I am limiting my detailing to the Saturn V and a few changes to the Revell Apollo Astronaut.  These two kits are important to the anniversary, and I have the plans for what to accomplish on the detailing of these two kits.  The only remaining kit to assemble, then, the Monogram First Lunar Landing, would be assembled "out of the box."


Descent stage foil

I started with the descent stage, as per the instructions.  Here is a photo of the application of the foil on the bottom (left).



I then completed the entire descent stage (right).













Test fitting the ascent stage
Then, a quick test fit of the ascent stage, before priming.



















The final step was painting.  I used a mix of Vallejo Natural Steel with Stonewall Grey to achieve a more scale-appropriate sheen on the bare metal parts.
Almost complete

Finished, with astronauts

No comments:

Post a Comment